21 August 2018

Kenya Here I Am

It’s been a very long two days.  I left Dallas on Sunday, 8/19 at 6:35am for New York (3 hr flight) - departed New York at 6:10pm - arrived in Paris on Monday, 8/20 at 7:45am (6 + hr flight) - departed Paris at Noon and arrived in Nairobi at 9:05pm (8 hr flight) - arriving at hotel about 10:30pm. Wow. I am pooped all over again just typing it.  The hotel grounds are lovely - it’s a large compound with several restaurants, pool and small casino.





Today we visited the Giraffe Center in the section of Nairobi called “Karen” (for Baroness Karen Blixen) to see the Rothschild Giraffes.  They are becoming rare - only about 340 today.  I got to feed one with the small pellets they give you.   If you get close and don’t have food, they’ll head butt you. One lady found that out.






Next we visited the home of Karen Blixen, the writer of over nine books, including Out of Africa.  She was born and raised in Denmark, but after accepting a proposal from a paternal cousin, it was suggested they relocate to Kenya (at the time under British rule as British East Africa).  Karen and her husband, Baron Bror Blixen-Finecke married the day after her arrival in Mombasa, Kenya on January 14, 1914 and eventually settled on 6,000 acres near Nairobi.  600 acres was devoted to growing coffee.  It was not a thriving success due to soil compatibility. Baron Blixen was a womanizer and would allegedly travel for long periods of time on safaris.  This womanizing exposed Karen to Syphillis in the first year or so of marriage and she travelled to Denmark for treatment.  It proved successful but she dealt with health issues for many years.  She and the Baron eventually divorced in 1925.  Baron returned to Denmark and Karen was left with the property.  She eventually went bankrupt, began to sell the property and household furnishings to pay creditors and moved back to Denmark.

Karen loved the outdoors, loved to paint, write and arrange flowers.








 Karen Blixen

Tomorrow morning we head north to the Samburu area and have our first game drive tomorrow after arrival.  I’m not sure about internet access so it may be a day or so before another post.

1 comment:

  1. I loved her book Out of Africa, movie was good too. I recently re-listened to the audio book. Such an amazing woman. Your pictures are great. That elephant leg table must have a story!

    ReplyDelete